How many of you who are going to be doctors are willing to spend your days in Ghana? Technicians or engineers, how any of you are willing to work in the Foreign Service and spend your lives traveling around the world? On your willingness to do that, not merely to serve one year or two years in the service, but on your willingness to contribute part of your life o this country, I think will depend the answer whether a free society can complete. I think it can! And I think Americans are willing to contribute. But the effort must be far greater than we have ever made in the past.

-John F. Kennedy

Thursday, April 16, 2015

A billion people, 3,000 languages, 54 countries, 1 continent: AFRICA

A question I frequently get from my good friends back home: HOW'S AFRICA? This is a frustrating question, which most people don't understand.

But you do live in Africa.


Ah, a good point my friends.  I do live in Africa, but generalizing Africa ignores all of it's complexities.  For example, there are 3 million languages in Africa.  Wrap your head around that. 3 MILLION. In Senegal alone, a country the size of South Dakota, I can think of at least eight languages off the top my head, not including French.


This is a concept that many Africans don't get either.  For one of my programs I needed to have to students draw a map of their villages- they came to class with what was more of an artistic interpretation of what their compounds look like.  Others didn't know what a map was and were too afraid to ask.

Enter PCV Jim Courtright, map enthusiast. Jim designed a project where he would go to a select number of schools to paint a map of Africa.  With the map elementary school teachers would also get a manual with some lesson plans.  Each country's map was included, as well as a basic map reading lessons and some fun facts about geography in Africa (highest mountain, longest river, biggest lake, etc).  To go along with this he also made a map of Senegal.


So Jim and my sitemate Nathan came out to Sanankoro to help paint the map. Let me preface this my saying that Jim made a stencil of Africa with an exacto knife and plastic, in an ingenious system.  There were four stencils, with each one being done in a different color. It took about two hours and looks amazing! Yay Africa!

1 comment: