How many of you who are going to be doctors are willing to spend your days in Ghana? Technicians or engineers, how any of you are willing to work in the Foreign Service and spend your lives traveling around the world? On your willingness to do that, not merely to serve one year or two years in the service, but on your willingness to contribute part of your life o this country, I think will depend the answer whether a free society can complete. I think it can! And I think Americans are willing to contribute. But the effort must be far greater than we have ever made in the past.

-John F. Kennedy

Friday, April 24, 2015

Getting the R

And here we are. The baggage is packed up and has been transported from Kolda.  I've given away what I didn't need, thrown away what was gross, and saved the rest.  I've got far too many wax clothing items to be really needed in America, and presents for my friends and family waiting for me back home. 

The paperwork is done.  I've gotten all of the forms filled out, had several meetings with staff, conversations about our experiences and what's next.  I've seen many doctors who all can confirm that I am healthy and safe.

I've said goodbye to my Peace Corps family.  Some were left in Kolda (some even nice enough to see us off at 3:30am), some were greeted enthusiastically in Dakar only to say goodbye, for who knows how long, 5 days later.

But despite what I'm losing, it's important to remember what I've gained. A second family, a second home, a new outlook on life that will forever shade how I see the world.  I've had a baby named after me. I've got some Pulaar tics, interesting phrases.  I can hiss down a taxi from down the street.  I can insult a Balde until he cries. 

I've gained new Peace Corps friends, new connections, new networks.  I've gained experiences, professional and personal. 

 And at the end of it all, I've also gained my "R."  Here's to going home, a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer! #RPCV #Senegal

Courtney, me and Anna with our "R"s!

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! And respect for you and all the others who spend more than two years in this intense program to help people around the world. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is awesome, and more than fifty years later, as an old RPCV, Senegal, I can say for myself and have seen it in others, that one remains in the Peace Corps for life. That feeling gains weight in later years it seems to me. I have never before seen a post or article about the first moments of becoming an "R." Congratulations and thanks for your service. John Hand and Janet Ghattas, '62-'65 Senegal

    ReplyDelete